Last week while pushing my son on the swings, another mother guiltily confided that she was wearing the exact same clothes she’d gone to bed in.
But guess what? It’s time to banish the guilt, PJ-wearing mums, because Pyjama Pants are in!
Seen on the catwalk at Tommy Hilfiger F/W ’11, and given the nod by fashion insiders like Margherita Missoni, loose, wide-legged pants are moving out of the bedroom and into the fashion limelight, becoming a hot sartorial ticket for the warmer months ahead.
Here, A.J. Howard shares her 7 top tips on styling this season’s pyjama pants.
1. Balance the wide leg of the pyjama pant with a crisp, fitted top and wide-brimmed, slouchy hat.
2. Polish up your PJ pants with stacks of gleaming necklaces, a rich, smooth leather bag and some statement sandals or ballet flats.
3. Toughen up your pyjama-style pants with a cropped leather jacket and biker boots.
4. A flowing, embellished kaftan-style top, teamed with your pyjama pants, makes for a gentle silhouette. Balance with luxe, oversized accessories.
5. Channel the Reality Bites ’90s slacker vibe with high-waisted printed PJ pants, a tie-front man-style shirt, and basic ballet flats. A slash of bright lipstick will make this look sing – possibly even ‘My Sharona’ in a 7-11
6. Silk slouch pants that are anything but sleepy! Make a statement with a bright T-shirt, sharp fedora and ferocious flats.
7. A tailored blazer and lace-up brogue add an androgynous edge. Stacks of bangles and a bright mani complete the look.
Now all you need to do is roll out of bed!