Rushed again this morning? Me too. If you’re like most mothers*, you spend less than 15 minutes getting ready in the morning. And if your home life is anything like mine, those precious minutes are regularly interrupted with demands for milk, cries for help and requests for bottoms to be wiped.
So we’ve compiled a list of 26 beauty shortcuts that’ll shave time off your getting-ready routine, but will still give you great results.
1. To help colour stay on your lips all day, apply a bit of foundation under your lipstick.
2. Clean up mistakes and smudges from eye makeup application by dipping a Q-tip in eye cream, and gently swiping it off.
3. To make your eyelashes hold their curl longer, heat your eyelash curler with your blow dryer for a few seconds (don’t overdo it or you’ll fry your eye!).
4. Try Vaseline as a lip gloss, or in lieu of mascara to create a subtle sheen on your lashes.
5. To prevent your eyeliner from crumbling when you sharpen it, store it in the freezer.
6. To illuminate your skin, apply lip gloss in a sheer nude colour to the apples of your cheeks.
7. Tame unruly brows by spritzing hairspray onto a fresh toothbrush, and brushing them lightly.
8. When rushed in the morning, skip an elaborate makeup routine to save time. Instead, just apply tinted moisturizer to even out skin tone, two coats of mascara, and use a neutral matte lipstick to highlight your cheekbones and lips.
9. Baby oil is great to add to your daily moisturising routine for a bit of extra sheen. In a pinch, a pea-sized amount can act as a hair shine serum before dashing out the door.
10. Didn’t have time to wash your hair today? Use dry shampoo, or take a big makeup brush and dab it in loose powder (either baby or face powder). Tap it once to remove the excess before applying to your roots. This will help soak up any extra oil and dirt.
11. To tame fly-aways, spritz a round brush with hairspray and work through your hair roots to tip. This way, you’ll have hold, bounce, and no frizz.
12. Have an itchy, flaky scalp? Squeeze lemon juice over the crown of your head. Let it sit for 10 minutes, then rinse. The acidity from the lemon juice will naturally exfoliate your skin and clear up any dandruff.
13. The quickest way to dry hair after you shower is to first soak up excess water with a towel. Then, blow dry starting with the hair underneath and work your way to the outer layers.
14. Use a satin pillowcase so your hair doesn’t turn into a beehive overnight. Satin helps keep strands smooth while you sleep.
15. Take the red out of a pimple with a dab of Visine.
16. To help reduce swelling and redness of a zit, dab a bit of toothpaste on it before going to bed.
17. Tea bags (with caffeine) will help reduce swollen eyes. Simply soak in water then leave the entire bag on each eye for 5-10 minutes.
18. If your eyes are super puffy in the morning, take a frozen bag of peas, wrap them in a paper towel and place on your face. Allow to sit for 10 minutes for full effect, but prepare to be mocked by the kids.
19. Retinoid creams are overnight superheroes. Not only do they smooth wrinkles, but they literally get rid of zits overnight.
20. If you ran out of your usual shave gel, no worries! Use conditioner—you’ll actually get a better shave and your legs will feel unbelievably soft afterward.
21. If you typically get razor burn after shaving, try hitting those areas affected (including your bikini line) with your favorite deodorant immediately post-shower. It will help prevent those bumps from appearing.
22. Looking to get sexy, soft skin? Mash up a ripe avocado and use it as a paste over your legs. Leave on for 15-minutes, then rinse off. The oil from the avocado is a natural emollient.
23. Olive oil is also great to use on dry skin. To treat areas like your feet, apply it generously, wrap your feet in Glad Wrap, put on socks, and then head to bed. By morning, your feet will be super soft.
24. If you’ve recently self-tanned and wound up streaky, you can use a fresh lemon cut in half to rub over the affected areas, or baking soda mixed with a bit of water to create a paste. Rub in with either method to exfoliate and reveal untanned skin underneath.
25. Don’t have time to wait, post-DIY manicure? Let nails dry for two minutes, then submerge nails into ice cold water for three minutes. The cold water will help the polish dry completely.
26. Every time you shower, use a washcloth to gently push back your cuticles. You will always look like you have well-groomed nails.
*62% of women with kids spend up to 15 minutes getting ready in the morning,
compared to before kids, when 60% spent longer than 45 minutes.
Fox in Flats survey on Motherhood and Fashion.
What are your best beauty time-savers?
For more hair and beauty tips, ideas and shortcuts, subscribe to the Fox in Flats newsletter.