I’ll take a punt and say that the most annoying advice any new mother might hear is to “sleep when they sleep”.
In theory it sounds great: the baby goes down for a little nap, and so do you, ending up fresh and recharged when the baby awakes.
Yet the reality of having meals to prepare (and eat!), houses to clean, clothing to wash, and other family members to care for almost always precludes that as an option.
But it pays to be prepped on the odd chance you do get to grab a bit of shut-eye when the little-one goes down.
Here are 6 style necessities to have handy so you can enjoy that speed-sleep and be ready to hit the ground running again as soon as the baby wakes:
1. Keep a scarf handy to use as an impromptu pillow for wherever you manage to rest your head. Also handy for extra discretion if you’re breastfeeding, or to drape over to disguise the inevitable dribble marks you’ll get from the baby. Spoil yourself with a Cashmere scarf like this one from Artemis Wragge $355, or simply pick up a soft cotton wrap in a colour you love.
2. A lightweight sweater will keep you feeling super comfortable, and importantly, won’t crease. Modekungen sweater $117.
3. Leggings are comfy and practical, but now, they’re snug! Try the Fran Sweagging $90 by Generation Love, that are lined in fleece, for extra coziness.
4. For an instant post-nap pick-me up, mist your face with a spray like Benefit Ultra Radiance Hydrating Mist $47, which claims to ‘instantly enhance radiance’, and has a gorgeously refreshing cucumber scent.
5. You don’t want to move your baby to tears when they smell your post-nap breath, so pop a mint, or find a lip gloss with a refreshing minty flavour like Jack Black Intense Therapy Lip Balm with SPF 25 $7.50.
6. Le slipper is now le fashion. Comfy enough to wear around the home, yet they’ll look awesome when you pop out for that afternoon stroll with the baby tucked into the pram. Sam Edelman Crystal Stud Smoking Slipper $239 or shop our other slipper picks here.
What gets you looking fresh, fast after an impromptu nap?
What’s the most ridiculous advice anyone has given you when you had a newborn?
Subscribe to Fox in Flats for weekly updates and special offers straight to your inbox.