Capes have leapt from the shoulders of superheros and story book characters and onto the catwalk. Featured in the Fall 2011 New York Fashion shows of Alexander Wang, Rag & Bone and BCBG Max Azria these caped crusaders of cool are already widely available in stores.
But how do you wear a cape without looking like Little Red Riding Hood?
1. Choose fitted garments for your bottom half to keep your silhouette looking slender.
Buy similar cape from from TopShop $179
2. A structured cape will add instant polish over any outfit. But make sure it sits perfectly on the shoulders or you’ll end up looking hunched.
Buy similar cape from TopShop $120
3. If you’re slightly pear-shaped, look for a cape with a cinched in waist or belt feature and pair with slimline pants.
Buy identical cape at Victoria Secret $158
4. Thigh length suits most people, and when done up can cover up the top half of your outfit. Perfect for those days when you’re too tired to really pull together a ‘look’. On the outside you’ll look polished, but underneath you can still be wearing your PJ top if that’s how you roll.
That’s actually the model’s own thermal PJ top under her Max Azria Felt Hooded Cape.You can buy the cape for $468 here, just add your own PJ top…
5. Little Red Riding Hood worked out that it’s kinda hard to carry an over-the-shoulder bag when you’re wearing a cape, and toted a nifty basket instead. We recommend you stash your goodies in a satchel-style bag, or short-handled tote.
Pic: The Sartoralist
A cape is perfect for changeable and trans-seasonal weather – wear it done up when it’s freezing, and fling it open dramatically when it’s warmer. And as a nod to Little Red Riding Hood, team it with some red lipstick or gloss.
All the better to see you with!
Want more tips and ideas for navigating motherhood in style? Subscribe for email alerts each time we publish a new article, or subscribe to our weekly newsletter.